Designing Business Intelligence Solutions with Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (Course Code 20467)
Candidates will learn database and business intelligence (BI) professionals how to plan and design a BI solution that is based on Microsoft SQL Server 2014 and other Microsoft BI technologies
A basic understanding of dimensional modeling (star schema) for data warehouses
Basic server hardware knowledge
- The ability to create Integration Services packages that include control flows and data flows
- The ability to create a basic multidimensional cube with Analysis Services
- The ability to create a basic tabular model with PowerPivot and Analysis Services
- The ability to create Reporting Services reports with Report Designer
- The ability to implement authentication and permissions in the SQL Server database engine, Analysis Services, and Reporting Services
- Familiarity with SharePoint Server and Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel
Module 1: Planning a BI Solution
This module enables students to plan the components of a BI Solution.
- Elements of a BI Solution
- Planning a BI Project
- The Microsoft BI Platform
Module 2: Planning BI Infrastructure
This module describes how to use plan appropriate BI Infrastructure given a set of BI Parameters.
- Considerations of BI Infrastructure
- Planning Data Warehouse Hardware
Module 3: Designing a Data Warehouse
This module describes how to design a data warehouse given a set of user requirements.
- Data Warehouse Design Overview
- Designing Dimension Tables
- Design FACT tables
Module 4: Designing an ETL solution
This lesson describes how to use Power Query in Microsoft Excel to find and import data.
- ETL Overview
- Planning for Data Extraction
- Planning for Data Transformations
- Planning for Data Loading
Module 5: Designing Analytical Data Models
This module describes how to use Power View in Microsoft Excel to create interactive data visualizations.
- Introduction to Power View
- Creating Dynamic Data Visualizations
Module 6: Planning a BI Delivery Solution
This module describes how to choose an appropriate delivery solution for a given scenario.
- Considerations for BI delivery
- Common Reporting Scenarios
- Choosing a Reporting Tool
Module 7: Designing a Reporting Services Solution
This module describes how to design a reporting services solution.
- Planning a Reporting Solution
- Designing Reports
- Planning Report Consistency
Module 8: Designing an Excel Based reporting Solution
In this module students will learn how to design a reporting solution using Excel.
- Using Excel for Data Reporting and Analysis
- PowerPivot in Excel
- Power View in Excel
Module 9: Planning a SharePoint Server BI Solution
This module introduces the use of SharePoint Server as a BI solution.
- Introduction to SharePoint Server as a BI Platform
- Planning Security for a SharePoint Server BI Solution
- Planning Reporting Services Configuration
- Planning PowerPivot Configuration
- Planning for PerformancePoint Services
Module 10: Monitoring and Optimizing a BI Solution
At the conclusion of this module you will be able to optimize and monitor a BI solution.
- Overview of BI Monitoring
- Monitoring and Optimizing the Data Warehouse
- Monitoring and Analyzing Analysis Services
- Monitoring and Optimizing Reporting Services
Module 11: Operating a BI Solution
At the conclusion of this module you will be able to plan management and maintenance operations of a BI solution.
- Overview of BI Operations
- ETL Operations
- Data Warehouse Operations
- Analysis Services Operations
- Reporting Services Operations
Course Days: 5 Days